The Rib Mountain Repeater Association
Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors
17 March 2008
WHRM-DTV Tech Workshop, Rib Mountain
Board members present:
Rich Maier KC9NW
Brian Seehafer N9ATQ
Dean Andrewjeski K9PT
Tony Hermanek K9QM
Paul Nelles K9DB
Guest: Dave Peters KC9LFG
The meeting was called to order at 19:18 CDT by President Rich Maier KC9NW.
Selection of Officers:
As this was the first board meeting following the annual general membership meeting the following officer positions were filled as required by the bylaws:
President Rich Maier KC9NW
Vice President Dean Andrewjeski K9PT
Secretary Paul Nelles K9DB
Treasurer Brian Seehafer N9ATQ
Member-at-large Tony Hermanek K9QM
Secretary’s Report: K9DB
Minutes of the meeting of 15 August 2007 were accepted by consensus as read.
Treasurer’s Report: N9ATQ:
The treasury stands at $361.88.
Since the annual meeting the following bills have been paid:
Liability Insurance $294,
Wisconsin Association of Repeaters $25,
Wisconsin Educational Communications Board for rent on the Brighton
Leaving a balance of $251.42
Accepted as presented by consensus.
- K9PT suggested incorporating PayPal into the website to facilitate dues payment. He said PayPal takes a fixed fee per transaction, probably a dollar. Ivan Andrewjeski KB9RFB has volunteered to set this up on the website.
- KC9NW called for a mailing to the general membership since no mailing was made for the general membership meeting in November. This mailing will serve two purposes. First, to inform the membership of changes to the system in the last year including IRLP on 146.22/.82. Second, it can serve as a reminder to those who have not paid dues for the current year.
144.81/145.41 Repeater at Brighton:
- K9DB announced that the agreement with the Black River Amateur Radio Association (BRARA) that expired on September 1st 2007, was renewed, for another year under the same terms. K9PT and K9DB attended the September 2007 BRARA reguler meeting in Medford where the membership unanimously approved the agreement until September 1st 2008.
- K9PT said that he would like to see the repeater deployed at Brighton this year even if it only is at the 180 foot level. He said he is still looking for a tower crew that would be willing to do the installation for less than the standard commercial rate.
- K9PT reported that IRLP and EchoLink are now available on 146.82. He also reported that with IRLP comes a potential problem, if the IRLP is inadvertanly left open, unwanted signals on the input may go out over the IRLP network. A solution would be to require PL on the input. This could however have an adverse effect on membership since many members and users have primary and secondary radios that are older and not equipped with PL. N9ATQ suggested that the members be polled on this question
- KC9NW asked if the third Monday of the month at 7:00pm was a good time to schedule monthly meetings. The consensus was that this was most convenient time for the board members and therefore will be the regular meeting time.
Topics from the Floor:
- N9ATQ said he would like to see the RMRA define a direction for the 146.82 and the other systems.
- N9ATQ said he would like to see autopatch returned to the system. He said although he realized it was removed for financial reasons, he would like to see this question addressed in the mailing.
- K9PT suggested that the RMRA turn toward the digital modes such as D-STAR.
Meeting adjourned 21:05 CDT.
Paul Nelles K9DB